Wednesday, December 14, 2011

008

- Here's for the preacher.
- I told you, I ain't no preacher.
- Well here's for the man then. Here's for the women and the children. Here's for the grace of God almighty.
- Oh god.
- Come now, preacher...
- I ain't no preacher!
- Come now and accept your reward for the things you have bestowed upon us. Drink from this cup.
- Ack.
- Drink. Good. Accept the blessings of the people you have served for so long. Take to heart their final message and their rewards for the gifts you have forced upon them. Look out on the sea of faces that have come to hear your thoughts in words and to learn from your wisdom. Speak, let them hear what you have to say.
- You're... there's no one here... I... please, I'm not a bad person...
- Speak and pray for their love. Speak and pray and perhaps their love will set you free.
- I... please... there's been some mistake...
- Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to remember the actions of one man who took it upon himself to cleanse us of our sins by accepting them for himself. The murders..
- No.
- The rapes...
- No..
- The deceits..
- No...
- And the tortures. All at the hands of the man you see before you. He is at our mercy now, and we at his. Come, preacher, and give us that which we need. Give us that which we are drawn towards, that which we yearn for, that which we need to satisfy our souls. Give us repentance through your humility.
- I didn't... I couldn't... Oh god... I was acquitted!
- It is not the law of man that directs our souls to Paradise. I have performed the rites that will save your own and will hear your last confession.
- Please... please...
- I offer you this freely. Take it, confess, repent, and you will be set free. No, look at me. Look at me. Good. Now.. speak.
- I am sorry.
- Good.
- The men. The women. The children. Forgive me.
- For the grace of God almighty.
- For the grace of god almighty.
- Hasn't he done well ladies and gentlemen? Give him a big hand!
[The sound of rapturous applause. A wall opens to reveal the audience.]
- But... I...
- We have heard it, and it is good. Now I anoint you with oil, and purge your sins with fire. May the lord have mercy on your soul. Amen.
- Amen.
- Amen.
- Amen.
- Amen.
- Amen.
- Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment