Tuesday, December 13, 2011

007

My brother is a dick. He obviously has, like, issues or something cos we're sitting in the theatre and he's trying to stab me.

Mum thought it'd be good for us – to get out and see some theatre. I think she thinks we're thick or something, but I'm not. Luke is. He's an idiot. He's always doing stupid stuff like jumping off bridges and getting his mates to film it so they can put it on the internet and he's always getting in trouble. He got expelled from his last school for slapping a teacher so now he's in the same school as me. I'm doing alright, the teachers say I'll do good on my GCSEs, but he's in the year below and doesn't understand anything.

She bought tickets for me to go see Hamlet cos Michael Sheen is in it and she knows I have, like, the biggest crush on him. I've got a poster of him on my wall and I've watched all his films about 50 times each cos he's just brilliant. I wanted to take my friend Christina with me cos she's well smart and knows loads about Shakespeare and I thought she could help me understand some of it, cos I get it, but not all of it. But mum insisted I take Luke cos she thought it'd be educational for him.

Now there's a knife sticking out of my thigh. I hope she's happy.

As soon as the play started Luke was acting like a fuckwit. He kept texting on his phone, which was really embarrassing, and when someone told him to stop he told them to fuck off, and really loudly too, so that the actors, like, paused for a bit and everyone looked around and I just wanted to die. Then he started kicking the back of the seat in front of him, and this was just when Michael Sheen was doing that famous Hamlet speech that everyone knows but I've never heard before and I was trying to concentrate but all I could see was Luke kicking the seat and I had to tell him to stop it which meant I didn't keep track of what was being said on stage and by the end I was just well confused about what had happened and I didn't get why Luke didn't just leave if he was bored.

There's a lot of blood now and I can see Luke staring at it.

At the interval one of the theatre staff came over to us and said we'd have to leave, but Luke said no, cos he'd paid for the tickets (which he hadn't) and he was enjoying the play (which he wasn't) and if they were gonna make him leave they were gonna have to drag him out and I could've said something but I live with him and I know there's no point trying so I just stood there looking at my feet and besides she was talking to us in a well patronising way probably cos of how we were dressed or something and I thought maybe, just maybe, Luke would calm down in the second half and I'd be able to concentrate on what was going on.

Then in the second half, when Hamlet stabs Polonius behind the curtain, I heard Luke chuckle and I saw something flash quickly in the dark light but I just thought it was him getting out his phone again. Then I felt like this pressing sensation against my jeans and I looked down and saw that Luke was nudging me with the tip of his knife, just pressing back and forth constantly against my thigh, trying to work the knife through the denim and I looked at his face but he was watching the action on stage with like this weird expression on his face, and I tried to push the knife away and he moved it and then two minutes later he was doing it again and I didn't know what to do. Then he just lifted his arm up and brought the knife down, splitting the jeans and tearing open my thigh and he drove the knife all the way down until I could feel the it scraping against the bone. Then I screamed and everyone turned to look at us.

Now there's so much blood and I feel faint and everyone around is moving out of their seats and I can see people rushing over to us and Michael is standing wide-eyed and open-mouthed and he's staring at me and I'm smiling back at him cos he's looking right at me and Luke is muttering fuck and wow under his breath and I wonder what I did as a sister to deserve a brother like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment